Thursday, June 25, 2009

PHILOSOPHY: PART 1

The first part of my team philosophy is to have fun. To me, fun is a descriptive word that you use when you are talking about something you like doing. Most coaches wouldn't describe football as fun at the high school level. There's pressure to win, high expectations, hard work and tough decions to make. Having said that I look forward to the process. It's "fun" to me.

I think it's important to point out that "fun" activities aren't always accompanied by laughter and cotton candy. Fun activities can include hard work (and most of the time they do). The younger we are the more instant gratification we need. What little kid doesn't love getting a trophy for being on the team. As kids get older, however, they have to learn that to be good at something you have to work for it. That process can be fun.

So, where does "fun" fit in our program?

1. Athletes need to choose to participate. That choice makes all the difference. I've talked with the kids a lot lately about choosing to improve. I don't want to force the kids to come to passing league and weights. I want them to want to be there. I think they are doing that.

2. Athletes must feel like they are progressing and becoming better in the sport. The end goal is to perform well. It's not fun to look like a fool. Most kids will persist in hard work if they feel like it's worth something. Practices, drills and weightlifting can be a fun part of the learning process if they can see that it's helping them improve.

3. Athletes need to feel like they have something to contribute. Every athlete can find a place on the team. Not everyone can start but everyone can find a role to play.

I believe football can be a great tool for learning to have fun while working and playing extremely hard.