Friday, November 21, 2008

IN THE END ALL THAT MATTERS IS WORK

There's a thousand things you can do to make yourself better as an athlete. With all the study I've done I haven't found anything that is a shortcut to hard work. Drills, exercises, schemes, and meetings are all just tools in the toolbox you use to build something. Working hard and working smart are the key.

Yesterday afternoon I had 15 football players in the weight room running through Alwyn Cosgrove's complex series. It was tough. I added my own kettlebell series and it was harder. The one thing I noticed was that the kids weren't there because I was telling them to be. They were there because they have internalized the secrets of success. Get strong, get fast, learn the game, execute.

If I were the coach of another team I'd be really nervous. We're going to do very well next year with kids like this.