Monday, October 27, 2008

Post Blue Ridge Thoughts

What will it take to beat teams like Blue Ridge? Believe it or not, I know the answer to that question and it's not as complicated as you might think.

1. You have to believe you can. - If you haven't earned the right to the type of confidence that comes from lifting year round, running year round, going to camps, and learning how to play the game then it's hard to play with confidence.

2. You have to DO the things that great players do. - You have to prepare just as much if not more than your opponent. I love the phrase, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work Hard." When you're invested you tend to play with intensity and desire.
Unfortunately not enough has been expected out of the players in the past. That has started to change. As the players rise to meet the expectations then they'll earn the right to play with confidence.

3. You have to play as a team. - One thing I'm very pleased with this year is the committment of the team to play hard as a team.

So, if I had to put my finger on just one thing I'd say we will break the hold that Blue Ridge has on us when we obey rule #2 because obeying rule #2 leads to being able to obey rule #1.

I'll be at practice Monday ready to start the process of preparation so we can come out against Payson with confidence.