Thursday, September 24, 2009

STATS, RECORDS, AND RUNNING UP THE SCORE

I've never been one to put much stock in stats for high school players.  If it were up to me we wouldn't keep track of any of them because they turn the game into a horserace.  Everybody worries about who's ahead and who's behind.  I was raised in the John Wooden camp of, "play every down hard and the score will take care of itself."  Having said that, I believe that creating a winning program is important.  It reflects the skill level, hard work and mental toughness that you've taught your young men.  Besides, it's fun. 

The really fun games are the ones that take all your skills to win.  The coaches use strategy, the players use skill, the fans cheer their brains out and win or lose you come away better for it.  On the flip side, we've all been a part of boring blowouts where the game is out of reach by the end of the first half.  In my opinion this is where you utilize a totally different set of skills as a coach and try to keep the game fun and interesting. 

I've run all my linemen as running backs and receivers.  I've played the kid that has never played and helped him get 50 yards.  I've let the worst kickers kick.  I've even had the majority of the freshmen team take the field.  I've kept my third string in at the expense of a shutout. 

I've also been on the other side of the blowouts.  You just try to survive.  I've always appreciated the coaches that have realized that the game was over and tried to work on their plays without humiliating me and my kids. 

Those experiences, both the good and the bad, have helped me to keep a little perspective. 

The bully wins the games when he plays the 1st graders.  He should!  He's more skilled, bigger, and faster.  But no matter how much he tries, he'll never win the respect from his peers for wins, records, or stats he gained playing the little kids.  No matter how many newspapers cover it.