Friday, March 13, 2009

MISTAKES I'VE MADE

Everybody makes mistakes. It's part of the learning process. Although I wouldn't give up what I've learned over the past 5 years of being a head coach, I regret that the people I coached with and the kids had to go through the growing process with me.

1. Support the head coach. When I started coaching in Winslow I didn't do a very good job at this one. I thought the coach had some flaws that I had to personally point out to him. If I had to do it all over again I would assist the head coach more and criticize him less.

2. Don't take a job where the employer is desperate and you are the only applicant. I would never say that becoming a head coach when I did was a mistake but the circumstances could have been better. When the employer takes the time to search for a good candidate and you are the one they choose, the employer has to take responsibility for the choice they made. I will never forget the conversation I had with my administration when I was trying to make some improvements in the program and the reply was, "We did you a favor. Aren't you lucky to be a head coach at your age? Don't ask for so much."

3. Have a solid plan and then don't change too easily. I don't know if I could have avoided this mistake because of my inexperience but I think this is very important. This will be my third year in Snowflake. I'm going to put in a system that I believe will help us win. The problem is this will be the third different system I've introduced.

When I first came here I introduced the Wing-T that I had been running for 2 years at Winslow. The next year I saw the A-11 and was introduced it in an attempt to make up for some weaknesses I thought we had. I learned quickly that the A-11 wasn't going to work and switched back to the Wing-T. This year we are making changes that I believe will be my signature as a coach and I will stick with for a while.

Like I said, I wouldn't change the things I've learned because I think we will be at our best this year because of the changes, but I have to rebuild some of the trust I've lost because I seem to be ungrounded.

4. Don't put up with a lack of committment from the players. This one is simple. If an athlete doesn't want to put out 100% effort, train someone that will. I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to force kids to work hard. If I have a lazy senior and a hard working sophomore, I'm going to play the sophomore.

5. Communicate clear expectations to coaches and players. When I started coaching I assumed everyone, coaches and players, knew what to do and how to do it. Everyone wants direction and leadership from the leaders. Don't assume anything. If you want something done, it's up to the leader to make sure the expectations are communicated clearly.

I think above all I've learned that mistakes aren't fatal and if you approach them correctly you can improve yourself.